Message From The Principal
Thank you to those that participated in our Parents Club Meeting event on September 27, 2017 held in the atrium! A special thank you goes out to Patti Fabrizio for helping to promote and coordinate the event.
The forum presented an opportunity for parents of the Saint Patrick community to learn more about current and future doings from the principal’s prospective. In addition, families were given an opportunity to ask questions and further discuss other issues that needed clarification or additional explanation.
Below is a summary of the agenda items:
- The Brullo Family Science Center dedication ceremony was held on September 19. We are so blessed to have Bob and Kathy Brullo’s support in creating a program and space that will benefit so many current and future Shamrocks. Please click the following link to see pictures from the event: https://stpatrick.smugmug.com/2017-18/2017-09-19-STEAM-Dedication-1
- Our STEAM program launched in the summer of 2017. It is a four-year program where students will have the ability to explore and further study the various content associated with the acronym. 23 students enrolled in the Intro to STEAM class. By 2022, SPHS will be known as the first Chicagoland Catholic school with 20 % of its graduating class selecting a secondary education major or training or a career related to the STEAM initiative.
- We will host a STEAM informational evening on November 6 at 6:30 PM which is available for both parents and students of 6th-9th grade students. For further information, please contact Christi Blatchley (email@example.com) or Kori Bowns (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The INCubator Entrepreneurship program successfully launched in 2016-17. Dandaway DCS won the inaugural Innovation Idea Award. Enrollment is up 23% in class for 2017-18.
- We will host an INCubator informational evening on November 2 at 6:30 PM which is available for both parents and students of 6th-9th grade students. Please RVSP by clicking on this link: http://incubatoredu.org/contact/#open-house
Other News & Notes
- Our iPad program for Class of 2021 and future classes has been a success. This was the first-year families purchased iPads from the school and it allowed us to install and utilize MDM (Mobile Device Management) software. This software allows the school to control the content and device so the operational of the tool is solely for educational purposes.
- In 2016-2017, we completed the first year of ACT practice testing twice in a given calendar year for freshman, sophomores, and juniors. Data showed growth in all 5 scoring areas for both our freshman and sophomores. Our first testing date for the 2017-18 school year is 10.11.17.
- The number of teachers who have advanced degrees has increased from 51% (in 13-14) to 76%.
- We completed the 3rd year of our Strategic Plan. For further details, go to the website at: https://www.stpatrick.org/about-us/strategic-plan/
- The first Open House was held on September 14 and was a tremendous success due to the hard work of our faculty, staff, parents, and alumni. We had over 300 people take an interactive and informative tour learning more about the many great programs that Saint Patrick High School has to offer!
- Senate Bill 1947. This is historic legislation that truly is an attempt at implementing a school choice program. So what is Senate Bill 1947? In short, it allows individuals and corporations to donate to scholarship granting organizations (SGOs) and receive a credit on their state taxes in return. These organizations will then use this money to grant scholarships to qualifying students. We will provide further details about how to apply for these scholarships as further information becomes available.
We briefly discussed the following dates to be aware of that were coming up over the next month:
- October 10: Parent/Teacher Conferences, 3-7, 1:45 school release
- October 11: ACT practice test, Special Schedule—Seniors will be in school for workshop
- October 12: Open House #2, 6-8à 3 day weekend
- October 27: Lasallian Convocation, No schoolà Cyber Day
- November 2: INCubator night, 6:30-8
- November 6: STEAM night, 6:30-7:30
- November 1 & November 20, All School Mass—ALL ARE WELCOME
The school is currently looking for people who would be able to volunteer and substitute at St. Patrick High School. It would especially helpful on our heavier faculty absence days when people are involved in retreats. It is preferred that someone is a certified substitute teacher, but not a mandatory requirement.
Our next Parents Club meeting will be November 8 at 6:30 PM. We invite you to participate in our meeting and discussion.