Adler Planetarium Summer Teen Intern
About the Organization The Adler Planetarium-America's First Planetarium-was founded in 1930 by Chicago business leader Max Adler. As a recognized leader in public engagement, the Adler Planetarium's scientists, historians and educators inspire the next generation of explorers.
The Adler is home to three full size theaters, extensive interactive exhibitions, and a significant collection of antique scientific instruments and print materials. In addition, the Adler boasts the lakeside Doane Observatory, one of the only research-active, public urban observatories, and the only place in Chicago where the public can see planets, stars, and galaxies up-close and in person.
Join us in inspiring exploration and understanding of the Universe! We are currently looking to hire 16 Summer Teen Interns who are interested in spending their summer at the Adler. In this role, interns will learn about working at a museum and in science and technology fields, communicating about science, and navigating professional and academic settings. Interns should be curious about science, technology, or museums; enthusiastic about interacting with Adler visitors, staff, and peers; and excited to learn and grow in this role.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in group professional development and event-planning curriculum
- Engage in learning and creating with peers on partner project determined by Intern interest and Supervisor input
- Fulfill work duties assigned by department of placement, which may include: Interacting with adult, child and family museum visitors; Facilitating educational activities for museum visitors; Using computers and audiovisual equipment to create space visualizations; assisting in a working electronics lab staffed by full-time Adler employees.
- Communicate consistently and effectively (digitally and face-to-face) with intern community (staff and peers) about progress, questions, and concerns.
- Education and Experience:
- Currently enrolled in high school
- Must be available Mondays-Fridays from June 27 – August 19
The mission of the Adler Planetarium is to inspire exploration and understanding of our Universe. The museum strives to engage the public in space science and history, and develop innovative approaches that improve science, math and technology literacy. The Adler Planetarium is located on Chicago’s beautiful lakefront museum campus.
For more information on the Teen Intern program, visit: http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/teen-opportunities
To apply, visit our website: http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/career-opportunities
An application for 16 teen summer internship positions is open at the Adler Planetarium website:
6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday
7543 W. Irving Park Road
Contact Jerry at (773) 836-9044